5.13.2008

"Marlo the party woman"

"It was cool to hang at Wende's with 'Marlo the party woman' as opposed to 'Marlo the mom' (not that the two are opposed or mutually exclusive)."

This was how the email from my friend Adam started. He hit it right on, "Marlo the party woman" was out in full force on Friday night. Matthew took the kids home, leaving with a peck and a whisper,"have a great time, come home when ever you want". I was on my own, feeling great, and surrounded by highly intelligent people--all anthropologist & archaeologist--which was so exciting.

I had no idea what 2 hours without kids, 3 glasses of white wine, and conversations varying from Facebook to defining irony, could do for me. I've been smiling ever since and its Tuesday!!

Adam pointed out that the two--the party woman & the mom--weren't mutually exclusive. I believe that, in fact, i think for the mom to be at her best she needs to be a 'party woman' or just a woman--periodically feeling free to experience moments of life without being in the grip of worry for her little ducklings. This short escapade has made me a better mom, wife and woman.
Cheers!

No comments: